About our School
St Thomas More School is a Catholic elementary school for grades K-8. It is located in South Kansas City, Missouri, in a quiet residential area. The yearly enrollment is approximately 600. The class size is a maximum of 26 students. Students are encouraged to achieve their best and to participate in community service.
Iowa Test of Basic Skills: By the time our students graduate STM in 8th grade our students are performing at the 99th percentile in English/Language Arts and the 95th percentile in Math on the National scale
Duke Talent Search: We have had over 90 students participate in this program over the last five years
- Over 68% of our teachers have a master’s degree
- Our teachers have an average of 20 years of teaching experience
- Each grade level has an area of focus for their service to assure that each student has exposure to all aspects of service
- Our students record over 5000 hours of service each school year
Cost of education: $6150 per students
All school Mass each Wednesday
Enrichment activities: Choir, Band, Robotics, Speech Contest, Spelling Bee, Geography Bee, Junior Board, Student Council, School Talent Show
Sports: Basketball, Football, Track and Volleyball
- Each classroom Kindergarten through 5th grade have tablets (iPads and Kindle Fires) for students to use
- Each classroom 6th through 8th grade have MacBook laptops for the students to use
- We have a technology learning lab that 1st through 8th grade students attend to learn the skills necessary to operate a computer
Anti-Bullying: We are a “Golden Rule” School utilizing the Olweus Anti-bullying program
Saint Thomas More School provides a safe learning environment in which I, as a unique child of God, strive to become the person God intends for me to be through academic achievement and acts of justice, love, and service based in our Catholic religious beliefs.
Saint Thomas More School will strive to develop life-long learners with global awareness through a life style of faith, service and rigorous academics enriched by technology.
Saint Thomas More School, a parish ministry, supports the parish mission statement by providing a welcoming environment to educate the whole child in the most appropriate manner insuring academic excellence. The school is fully accredited by both North Central/CASI as well as the Missouri Nonpublic School Accrediting Association.
Our School provides instruction in preschool through grade eight. Special programs include the fully staffed resource room and counselor helping to ensure that special attention is given to each child.
The curriculum provides daily instruction in the Catholic faith along with traditional subjects supplemented by an enriched fine arts curriculum including art, vocal and instrumental music, to approximately 600 students each year.
Technology is emphasized in all aspects of classroom and student instruction. Classrooms are equipped with internet connections, classroom projection equipment and whole class student response systems. Students are instructed in basic computer skills in the computer lab.
Each grade level has three sections, allowing us to accommodate all parish members. Class size is limited to a maximum of 26 to 1. When possible, lower student-teacher ratios are maintained in primary grades. Registration occurs in February each year.
The STM School Sports program is part of the Parochial League of the Diocese of Kansas City~St. Joseph. Sports offered in this program include football, basketball, volleyball, soccer and track. Development of skills and sportsmanship are emphasized in the after school programs.
Parental involvement is encouraged, in part, through a variety of organizations at Saint Thomas More School including:
- The School Board is a sounding board for policies and budget and provides resources for school sponsored activities. The board consists of school parents and parish members, representatives of the Home and School Association, Athletics, and Administration. Selection of board members occurs in the spring, and applications are available on the school website.
- The Home and School Association supports school activities providing volunteers for programs including new family mentoring, room parents, recess volunteers, and teacher appreciation, to name a few. Volunteer sign-up forms are available in the spring and at the beginning of the school year.
- The Booster Club promotes involvement of school families in the sports program by defraying participation costs for students while providing valuable resources for maintenance of sports related space and equipment.
- The Cultural Enrichment Committee provides support to the students participating in the band program at STM. Additionally, the committee helps defray costs for the art and music departments and promotes special programs for increased cultural awareness including the sponsorship of the Discovery Learning Network for all academic applications.
- Saint Thomas More Auction is the main fundraiser for our children’s academic, athletic and cultural enrichment programs. The night, held in late autumn, consists of a silent and live auction and a sit-down buffet dinner followed by a dance. This event takes a lot of volunteers!Please contact the school office for more information regarding these standing committees or the other opportunities for school-centered activities and community involvement.